Author: Lillian Elenwoke (@mbisafrican)
“A goal without a plan is just a wish”
Happy New Year guys! It is the first week of 2019; New Year resolutions are being made, goals are being set and everyone is anticipating a “Successful”, “fulfilling”, “Productive” year.
No one sets out to fail so you have thought about your PLAN but do you have a PLAN-ner?
We all know what a Planner is; In this case, we are talking about an organizer, a journal-like folio and reflecting on how it connects to our plans.
Types of Planners
There are loads of great planning tools out there in the market. There are planning softwares and Apps like Slack, Evernote, Goodnotes amongst others. Apps like Todoist and my current favorite Any.do are also great digital planners. Call me “Old school” but nothing beats paper planners. Research even suggests that writing by hand helps you retain information. Besides, who doesn’t like to scribble things down? I know I do and my planning doesn’t feel complete until I have written it down on paper; 😁. Especially my major plans.
Even the bible says “Write the vision, make it plain upon the tables, that he may run that readeth it” -Habbakuk 2:2
Selecting the RIGHT Planner
Selecting the right planner might look like the easiest thing to do but it is not. If you have been grabbing the first available planner off the shelf STOP.
To understand how powerful this process is, remember your “dreams”, “goals” is what you are writing down and we all know how important those are.
Point to Consider when selecting the best Planner
Going forward, don’t just grab any planner in sight, You want to select a planner that is right for you using these pointers :
1. YOUR PERSONALITY.
If you are going to be using this planner all year and taking it around with you it has to be something you Love and that excites you each time you open it.
- Are you a vibrant person?
- Do you like shiny, sparkly or dull, earthy tones? If you like bright colors then go for a bright-colored planner. If you are more of an earthy, dark toned persons then go for dark-colored planners . Or else you are considering trying a new and exciting color in that case, go for colors that resonates with your state of mind at the time.
2. YOUR WRITING STYLE.
How do you intend to use your planner? Do you want to write full tasks and add a little storytelling (Like a Journal/Planner) or would you rather go straight to the point and stick with writing scheduled plans or confirmed appointments?
3. DETERMINE THE EXTRAS FOR YOUR PLANNER.
Would you rather a planner with the basic information:
- The current day/date.
- Spaces to write appointments
- Note taking space at the back? .
- Or you want a little extra “pizzazz”.
- to-do list
- positive quotes
- note taking
- vision boarding etc. https://www.myinfiniteagenda.com/ is one of our favorite Planners of all time, it not only allows you set goals, it comes with a vision-board and helps you save the world.
4. CHOOSE YOUR BINDING PREFERENCE.
Do you want a flat planner you can carry around or would you rather a bulky one. Would you rather have a dated planner or would you rather a customizable planner like https://thehappinessplanner.com/. What about the binding? spiral? Discbound? Dividers?
5. CONSIDER YOUR BUDGET.
You have to decide how much money you want to spend on a planner. A great customizable planner can go up to $80 or even more but there are also cheaper options depending on where you buy your planner.
These are some of the questions to answer before picking out your next planner.
Okay now you have selected your Perfect Planner; Feel free to pick up a couple as gifts for Loved ones.
Here are some Planning etiquettes and habits to plan by:
- Check your Planner a lot.
- Do complement your Paper Planner with a Digital one like http://any.do
- Don’t stress about filling every box up(Allow your planner to be a reflection of your life, some days will be better than others).
- Write full sentences over abbreviations.
- Celebrate your “Little” milestones.
Remember that your planner is just a tool and it is only effective if you use it properly and regularly. You are the Master PLAN-er of your fate so take control of your success and get a planner😁😉.
Welcome to the Giftstyle!